I wonder if you can use Revolut in Bulgaria? In this guide, we’ll tell you everything you need to know about using Revolut in Bulgaria.
Revolut is much more than a travel card or money transfer service. The innovative Revolut app lets you manage your salary, transactions, budget, savings and more, all in the same app.
Are you ready to travel? Don’t go without travel insurance.
I recommend SafetyWing Nomad Insurance, an affordable travel insurance that offers automatic monthly payments that you can cancel at any time. I have been using it since 2019 and I can assure you that it is the perfect solution for nomads like you and me. Learn more by reading our SafetyWing review.
What’s more, Revolut is great for travelers. I used Revolut in Bulgaria to withdraw money and pay for goods.
So if you’re thinking about using Revolut on your travels in Bulgaria, you can.
What is Revolut?
Revolut is a British company founded in 2015. However, Revolut US launched in 2020, allowing Americans to manage all aspects of their finances digitally.
Revolut started as a cheaper and easier way to send and claim money around the world (both to other Revolut users and to bank accounts). Their unique selling point is that you always get the real exchange rate with no hidden fees.
However, over the years, Revolut has grown significantly to become everyone’s favorite money management app.
Along with sending and receiving money, you can now use the app’s budgeting tools, unlimited free single-use virtual cards for safer online shopping, and much more.
Revolut offers both free and paid plans, with three plan options available:
|100% free ATM withdrawals from over 55,000 ATMs||yes||yes||yes|
|Free card delivery||yes||Express||Express|
|Personalization of the card||yes||yes||yes|
|Free international transfers monthly||1:||3:||5:00|
|Free currency exchange||$1000/m limit||$10,000/m limit||Unlimited|
|24/7 priority customer support||No||yes||yes|
|Exclusive metal card||No||No||yes|
|Purchase protection (theft and accident cover up to 90 days)||No||yes||yes|
|Return Protection (Refund up to 90 days after purchase)||No||yes||yes|
You can use your Revolut card in Bulgaria. If you are Bulgarian or an expat living in Bulgaria, you can also order a Revolut card in Bulgaria.
What does Revolut offer?
As we just mentioned, Revolut offers various features.
So if you don’t usually send or receive money from abroad, that doesn’t mean a Revolut account won’t benefit you.
Here are some of the main things that Revolut offers its customers:
- Send and receive money abroad to other Revolut customers and bank accounts – Transfers to Revolut customers worldwide are instant and free.
- Fair, transparent pricing with no hidden fees.
- Store and exchange 28 currencies in the app, including USD, GBP, CAD, BGN and EUR.
- Make online international purchases at the real exchange rate.
- Receive your paycheck up to two days in advance via direct deposit at no additional cost.
- Budgeting tools to track your expenses and set monthly budgets (for your overall expenses or individual categories). You can get notifications when you get close to your budget.
- A virtual spare bank by rounding each card payment to the nearest dollar and adding the spare change to your savings account.
- Instant transaction notifications showing how much was spent and where. So if someone logs into your account and makes a purchase, you’ll know right away.
- Customized security features – Through the app, you can change settings related to swipe payments, contactless payments and ATM withdrawals by enabling/disabling them and adjusting limits.
- Instant card freeze/unfreeze feature in the app, so if you lose your card, you can block it without calling and waiting. Similarly, if you find your card afterwards, there’s no headache in unblocking it.
- Unlimited free one-time use virtual cards that generate unique card details for every online purchase you make
- Peace of mind that your money (up to $250,000) is FDIC insured.
- Travel benefits such as travel insurance and airport lounge access can come in handy during your travels in Bulgaria.
How to apply for a Revolut account
What makes digital banks like Revolut so popular is that it’s so easy to apply for an account with them.
Compared to traditional bank accounts where you have to make an appointment in person, fill out paperwork and wait weeks to start using your account, opening a Revolut account is not easy.
Opening a Revolut account only takes a few minutes, and you can do it right from your Android or iOS smartphone.
No lengthy phone call, virtual meeting, or email follow-up required. Instead, you simply enter your details and upload a valid ID if required.
Here is the exact process to follow to open a Revolut account:
- Download the app from the Apple or Google Play Store.
- Enter your phone number – you will then be sent a verification code that you must enter to proceed to the next step.
- Enter your personal information such as name, date of birth, home address and email address.
- Take a selfie (for identification purposes).
- Create a password.
- Choose your plan: Standard, Premium or Metal – Note that you can upgrade later.
- Choose your card (physical or virtual) – If you choose virtual, your card information is generated immediately.
- The end. You will now be taken to your account page, but note that you will need to confirm your email address, so remember to check your inbox.
How to use Revolut in Bulgaria?
So, once you’ve opened your account, how do you use the app?
Here’s what you can start doing right away.
- Open multiple accounts for different currencies. So if you have clients based in other countries that pay you in their currency, you can open an account right away to start getting paid right away. There are over 25 currencies you can pay in including GBP, BGN, EUR, CAD and AUD.
- Add money to your Revolut account via standard bank transfer, top up bank card or Google Pay.
- Set up your salary to be paid into your Revolut account – Revolut will share a prepared letter that you can send directly to HR to request the change.
- Invite your friends to use Revolut – You will receive a cash prize for every friend who signs up, orders a physical card and makes a payment with 3 cards.
- Make your first transfer by adding your contacts or bank account information, or create a payment link to request payment from your customers.
- Set monthly or weekly budgets.
- And much more.
Now you may be thinking. Can I use Revolut in Bulgaria? Yes, you can! Although it is useful to have cash in Bulgaria, you can pay by card in some shops and restaurants.
That said, you need a reliable travel card to withdraw money, and Revolut is great for that. Read our Revolut travel card review to find out more.
When it comes to using Revolut in Bulgaria, you can use your card as you would any other card.
You will be able to:
- Withdraw money from ATMs in Bulgaria
- Pay for products in person
- Pay for products online like eBag or eMag (you can use a one-time virtual card if you want)
We recommend paying in BGN when you have the option. So you’ll pay less for conversions and fees.
Is Revolut safe in Bulgaria?
Since digital banks are still relatively new, there are some concerns about how secure they are.
However, Revolut is probably the safest digital bank around, as it uses award-winning security systems that keep your card details safe, flag any suspicious transactions and use additional verification processes.
Your money in Revolut will also be protected as the company works with regulated banks. This means your money (up to $250,000) is FDIC insured.
In addition, Revolut offers super secure card options. They use strict data security to store card numbers and offer single-use virtual cards. This works by giving you a temporary card number to use once when shopping online.
After you make an online purchase, that card’s information is destroyed to protect you from online card fraud. You can request virtual cards for free and as many times as you like, because temporary data is created directly in the application.
Personally, I’ve been using my Revolut card in Bulgaria for months and haven’t had any problems. I use it to withdraw money from ATMs and pay by card when possible.
After living in Bulgaria for almost two years, I have never had any problems.
Are there any downsides to Revolut?
While digital banks have many advantages over traditional banks, such as quick and easy account opening and comprehensive in-app account management, Revolut may not be for everyone.
One thing to note about Revolut is that it’s hard to talk to a real person if you’re having problems. Their only method of customer service is through in-app chat, which is available 24/7.
However, there is no phone support, only an automated number to block your card.
Moreover, since they do not have physical branches, there is also no personal support.
While this is fine for many, you may find this frustrating if you want to talk to someone on the phone or in person about your banking problems.
Also note that customers on paid plans get priority in the app chat. So if you have a free account, you may have to wait a while to get a response.
Final thoughts on Revolut Bulgaria
Revolut is more than just a convenient travel tool that makes it easy to withdraw local currency and save you from extortionate fees.
This innovative digital bank offers something for everyone, including savers, spenders, employees, freelancers and entrepreneurs.
If you don’t have a Revolut account yet, download the app today and take a look around.
Revolut doesn’t pressure you to buy a paid plan, so you can try it for free and then upgrade to additional features if you find them useful. I personally have the metal plan and I am very happy with it.
Looking for more travel finance content? Read one of the following guides: