Interest in RPA is increasing. According to Gartner, RPA is the fastest growing segment of the global enterprise software market, and all industry analysts expect it to continue to grow. This growth has led to increased interest in programming languages such as .NET that enable users to develop RPA bots. However, there are emerging RPA platforms based on Python. This means that Python developers no longer need to use .Net to develop RPA solutions to benefit from this rapidly growing market.
In this article, we explore the best Python platforms that developers can use to take advantage of the growing RPA market.
List of Python-based RPA platforms
The original RPA platforms were built on the .NET framework, taking advantage of tight integration with the Windows OS. However, given Python’s growing popularity, it’s no surprise that new RPA platforms are being built on top of Python;
Note: The seller above is sponsored.
|Company:||Has a marketplace that allows monetization of codes||Fortune 500 users||Number of employees in LI||Source code||Number of contributors to Github (as of February 2022)||Website|
|Argos Labs||CORRECT||Softbank, SK Telecom, Toyota, etc||23:00||Property:||Argos Labs|
|Robot Framework Foundation||FALSE||N/A||7:00||Open source||10:00||GitHub:|
|RPA Python||FALSE||N/A||N/A||Open source||61:||RPA-Python|
In addition to these vendors, UiPath, one of the major players in the RPA ecosystem, enables users to use Python to run specific scripts. However, the default programming language for UiPath RPA is .NET with some support for C#.
This list is specific to Python-based RPA platforms. For a complete list of RPA vendors, feel free to visit our updated list of RPA software vendors on our website.
Python developers can take advantage of the growing RPA market in 3 ways
1. Build reusable plugins for marketplaces
Python developers can create reusable plugins for these RPA platforms to take advantage of the growing RPA market in terms of both reputation and financial rewards.
While RPA platforms provide basic functionality for creating bots, this basic functionality is limited. Most platforms have 300-400 functions that help end users manipulate the interface and data. Beyond that, users have to rely on marketplaces where they can access thousands of different features
Based on our analysis of existing RPA markets and RPA case studies, these are the leading areas where Python libraries can be used to create widely used RPA plugins:
- Document processing is an important part of repetitive business processes, and invoicing automation was the most common RPA example we encountered in our RPA case studies. Therefore, plugins for OCR in RPA markets and more advanced document data extraction technologies can be useful for RPA users. Developers can build and monetize these apps themselves or join vendors who are active in this space.
- After the data is extracted from the documents, NLP and NLU tools are needed to analyze the text. Python probably has the largest collection of NLP libraries, including spaCy, Gensim, and NLTK, all with over 5k stars on github.
- Integrating machine learning into RPA bots is a growing interest, as pattern recognition can enable bots to make decisions and perform more complex tasks. TensorFlow and PyTorch are some of the leading deep/machine learning libraries
- Additional areas include image processing, where OpenCV and Numpy are leading libraries, and web scripting, where Scrapy and Selenium are leading libraries.
This was a summary of the RPA markets from the perspective of Python developers. Read our articles on reusable RPA applications and RPA marketplaces to learn more about how they work.
2. Join Python RPA’s own product development teams
Joining Python RPA product development teams can allow you to advance your career in RPA with Python. However, given the few proprietary platforms, this is an opportunity for a relatively small number of developers. Most of the Python-based RPA platforms we’ve mentioned above are growing their teams, so it might be interesting to join them.
3. Contribute to RPA open source projects
We have identified several open source RPA projects. Their implementation can allow developers to improve their reputation in open source and RPA.
We’ve summarized the ways Python developers can contribute to the development of RPA and benefit from its rapid growth. Feel free to comment if you see other ways for Python developers to develop RPA solutions.
More about RPA
To learn more about RPA, feel free to read our comprehensive research on the topic:
To explore RPA in detail, download our in-depth white paper on the topic:
Get the RPA White Paper
And if you’re looking to use an RPA solution to transform your business, check out our lists of data-driven RPA vendors and various automation solution providers.
And contact us to choose the right tool.
Find the right vendors