For the past 3 years, Andover Audio has focused on affordable vinyl playback solutions that make sense for music listeners looking for the easiest way to enjoy their growing record collections. products like the SpinBase Max, One E Turntable Music System, SpinDeck Max, and the new SpinStage MM/MC Phono Preamplifier we just reviewed appeal to a wide range of consumers. Andover has announced the successor to its original SpinDeck, the SpinDeck 2 Turntable, and there are some pretty distinct changes from the original design.
Price: $299. SpinDeck 2: designed to find a balance between good performance and operational convenience at a modest price.
Three updates added to SpinDeck 2 include:
- Electronic speed control – This allows users to easily change the speed of the turntable.
- Automatic arm lift and return with auto shut off function – This means users won’t have to get up to raise the arm once the side-by-side recording is finished.
- Built-in Phono Preamp with Bypass – This feature makes it more convenient to connect the SpinDeck 2 to any audio system. If your audio system doesn’t have a dedicated phono input with a ground connection, no problem, you can connect the SpinDeck 2 via RCA audio line connections only. However, if your audio system has a dedicated phono input with ground, you can bypass the SpinDeck 2’s internal preamp and connect just like any other traditional turntable.
HintWhen using the SpinDeck 2 with a SpinBase, SpinBase MAX, SpinStage, or any audio system with a dedicated phono input, set the Phono EQ switch to the THRU position.
In addition to the electronic speed control and built-in Phono preamplifier, here are the other key features of the SpinDeck 2.
- The SpinDeck 2 is a belt-driven turntable combined with a low-vibration DC motor with internal electronic servo control for precise speed.
- Anti-vibration soft rubber feet are also included for stability.
- SpinDeck 2 also comes pre-installed Audio-Technica AT3600 cartridge with great performance, out of the box, minimal installation.
HintYou can upgrade the cartridge if you want. The SpinDeck 2 features adjustable counterweight and standard 1/2-inch cartridge mounting.
- Adapter for 7”, 45 RPM singles
- .5m Dual RCA signal cable with integral ground wire
- Machined aluminum tray with wet silicone rubber mat.
- Electronically stabilized DC motor.
- 12V/1A, 100-240V AC power supply with international plug adapters.
- Nominal speeds33.33 / 45 RPM +/-2%
- Wow and Flutter0.20% (33 RPM); 0.20% (45 RPM)
- Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR)-67dB A-weighted
- Effective arm length8.5″ (214.5 mm)
- Excellence22 mm
- The weight10 lbs/4.5 kg
- Dimensions (W x H x D)420 x 119 x 340 mm (16.5 x 4.7 x 13.4 inches)
- Power consumption1.5 watts
- Power adapterUniversal 100-240 VAC/50-60 Hz
Audio Technica AT3600 Cartridge Specifications
- Frequency range20-20 kHz
- Splitting channels24dB/1kHz
- The remainder of the channel1.5 dB
- Output voltage4.2mV @ 1kHz, 5cm/s
- Recommended load Resistance47kohms/200-300pF – MM-input
- Type of stylus.0006” tapered bonded diamond
- Recommended tracking power2.5 – 3.5 grams
- The weight5.7 g
- Replaceable stylusATN3600L
Availability and prices
The SpinDeck 2 is now available in black or white $299 at Andover Audio or Amazon.com. A clear acrylic cover is also included.